Monday, May 18, 2009

If That's Moving Up, Than I'm Moving Out

Last night Luke took his first steps out of the nest. He didn't take steps as much as I pushed him out. For the past 5 1/2 weeks he has been sleeping in a crib at the foot of our bed. It was nice having him near us so we could check on him with little effort. Not having to go to far for feedings was also nice. However, after a time having a screaming newborn in your bedroom gets old and the baby loses its welcome. So Mom and I are moving Luke into his own room. This room used to be Alyce's until we moved her into her big girl room. The first step to getting Luke into his room was to get the crib set up. It had been sitting in the basement for the past few months while Alyce grew attached to get new room. So far Luke seems pretty content with his new surroundings.

Mommy and I have a decent system for taking care of Luke at night. I work the shift from midnight to 3:00 a.m. and mom takes everything after 3:00 a.m. Luke gets up once during both shifts so both Mommy and I have one feeding a night. The downfall to a system like this is that once during the night you are wakened by Luke even though it isn't your turn to take him. This sleep interruption guarantees that you are only going to get at best three hours of continuous sleep a night. By tossing Luke into his new room and out of ours we still hear Luke twice a night through the monitor. Once either of us gets up for our shift we can turn off the monitor letting the other fall back asleep.

After the first night I can tell that my energy has improved from my better quality of sleep. I'm hoping that Luke's sleep habits will improve as he doesn't have to hear us moving around getting ready for bed while he is trying to get some sleep.

No comments:

Potty Training

So potty training is starting up with Luke.  He's 3 1/2 and well lots of kids younger than him are already going down that path.  He'...